Monday, March 2, 2009

Planning Outline

Project:

Research the methods used by small towns in Europe to prevent urban sprawl, and determine which can and should be implemented in Kamloops.

Methods:

1. Research the current state of Kamloops, the conditions contributing to urban sprawl, and how sprawl affects the sustainability of a city.

2. Find information on specific European towns and what methods they have implemented to reduce urban sprawl, and how those changes altered the community.

3. Apply this information to Kamloops. This will mean more information about Kamloops and its neighborhoods will be needed, and professionals in the planning area will be contacted.

Special Problems:

1. Will the cultural differences between European cities and Canadian cities affect the implementation sprawl reduction techniques?

2. Should the report focus on cost effectiveness, or overall effectiveness?

3. Should many European towns be used, or should a single town be examined?

Also:

Some methods may need to be excluded because there is no feasible way they could be implemented in Kamloops.

9 comments:

  1. Hey Mark,

    I found a book called Rethinking Households by By Michel Verdon. I think this book will help you because it explains the living arrangements of different cultures and may explain the reason for the sprawl affect in some cultures over others.

    Good luck with your research!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks Irene, I think I found the book you're talking about. Seems interesting. I didn't really have any sources for the societal aspect of my report yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that I could help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mark,
    I found an article on the David Suzuki Foundation website on urban sprawl. It has some great links to some other Canadian websites. Here's some links: http://www.smartgrowth.on.ca/
    http://smartgrowth.bc.ca/
    Also the article on the David Suzuki Foundation website: http://www.davidsuzuki.org/Climate_Change/Sprawl.asp
    Although this information is based on Canadian cities, it still may be relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Joey, I'll have a look at the David Suzuki website. He's been a nerd hero of mine since I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suzuki rocks! I am watching a show with him in it right now called Big Ideas for a Small Planet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Mark thanks for the books! I've got one that I took out of the library that you should be interested in. It's called: Planning Cities for the Future. The successes and Failures of Urban Economic Strategies in Europe. (I thought I posted this a couple of days ago but didn't push post comment). Let me know if your interested.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey man. I skimmed through the book that I have for you. I see that your looking for cities that could be used for case studies. The book studies ten large cities in Europe. However, the plans that are looked at for Seville, Spain are laid out by the state of Andalusia. They apply to the whole region, but the book just looks at Seville because it is the largest city in that region. I researched the region and there is a city 10 km southeast of Seville called Alcalá de Guadaíra. It has a population of 67,000. Maybe it can be used for a case study? The city just recently became to a Alcalá (suburb) of Seville and so the word Alcala was added to the city name.

    Interesting fact: The city is also know as Alcalá de los Panaderos, which means Alcalá of the bakers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the book Curt, I'll give it a read and get it back to you. It looks like it has a lot of potential.

    By the way, that is one -interesting- fact.

    ReplyDelete